Total Time: 1 hour
• 150 grams hazelnuts (you can use any nuts)
• 210 grams firmly packed light brown sugar
• 230 grams all-purpose flour
• 30 grams cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3 large eggs
• 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan and line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl, then add the hazelnuts. Fold into the egg mix to make a soft dough.
4. Tip onto a lightly floured surface, shape into a 25cm sausage shape with lightly floured hands, then transfer to baking sheet. Flatten to a 3cm thickness, then bake for 30 mins until lightly browned on top.
5. Remove and slide onto a chopping board, then reduce the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas
6. Cut the log into 1cm thick slices and return to the baking sheet, cut-sides up. Bake for 10-15 mins until crisp, then cool on a wire rack.
Will keep in a tin for 3 weeks.