Total Time: 1 hour
• 2 Eggplants
• 1 tsp salt
• 5 cloves garlic
• 3 cans peeles tomatoes
• ½ bunch of basil
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup plain flour
• 200 grams parmesan cheese
• 120 grams of mozzarella cheese
• Olive oil
1. Cut the eggplant up into 1 cm thick slices and then place them on a oven tray. Salt the eggplant on both sides and let sit for at least 30 minutes until it has released all of it’s juices and then drain off all of the juices.
2. Peel the garlic cloves.
3. Place olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic and let become golden on a medium heat for approx.. 2 minutes. Thereafter, add the canned tomatoes and let simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes. Mix it occasionally with a wooden spoon trying to break down all the larger pieces of tomato to create an even sauce.
4. Turn on the oven to 175 degrees Celsius .
5. Wisk the eggs up in a bowl. Place the flour in a separate bowl. Take the eggplant, dip it in the egg and thereafter the flour and do a quick pan fry on medium heat until golden on each side.
6. Thereafter, layer the fried eggplant with the tomato sauce and the grated parmesan cheese in an oven dish. Create a few layers until it reaches the top of the dish then top the layers with mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake in the oven for approx.. 20 minutes or until the gratin is golden brown.