Total Time: 40 minutes
• ½ brown onion
• 175g cooked red lentils
• ½ cup bread crumbs
• 1 egg
• 75g feta cheese
• ¼ cup freshly chopped herbs
• Salt and pepper
• Butter or olive oil
1. Prepare the lentils by cooking them, this is the longest step of the whole recipe and this step can be done the night or day before to make it even quick.
2. Dice the brown onion up. Wash the lentils.
3. Combine the onion, lentils, breadcrumbs and egg in a bowl. Add the crumbled feta cheese and chopped up herbs and mix well. Season the mix with salt and pepper and give it a safety taste check.
4. Form round 1 cm thick patties and fry on a medium heated pan in butter or olive oil until golden brown on each side.
5. The burger patties can be served on their with a side salad or on a bread bun to form a burger.
Lentils are really high in dietary fibre. A daily dose of fibre helps to push waste through your digestive system, speeding up your metabolism and keeping your bowel motions regular and healthy. Lentils also have a high source of protein which is great for a meat substitute if you want to live a more plant based diet. They are highly nutritious filled with vital nutrients such as vitamin B, magnesium and zinc. Lentils also have a larger quantity of iron which most vegetarian diets lack.