Total Time: Minimum 3 days
• 100 grams young fresh ginger (older ginger have more roots in them)
• 1/2 head red/green cabbage head
• 1 cup white vinegar
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 cups water
• 2 tsp salt
• 2 tsp pepper seeds
• 1 tsp fennel seeds
• 1/2 Lemon juice
1. Remove the skin on the ginger and slice both the ginger and the cabbage head very thinly. Using a mandolin may help with the thin slicing.
2. Place the thin slices in a jar, you may need several jars for this.
3. In a saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, lemon, water, fennel/pepper seeds and salt to a boil until you see the sugar dissolving.
4. Pour the hot liquid over the vegetables in the jars and let cool entirely before placing in the refrigerator.
5. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 weeks.
TIP. If you would like to only pickle one vegetable, you can do this too. Pickling only the ginger, will generally last a lot longer and has potential to last up to 6 months time in your fridge.