Try this delicious Salmon Quiche
• 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry
• 15g butter
• 1 leek • 2 garlic cloves
• 8 asparagus spears
• 5 eggs
• 1 ½ cups (375ml) cooking cream
• ¼ tsp salt + pepper • 2 tbsp fresh dill
• 200 grams smoked salmon
• ¾ cups cheese
• ½ lemon
1. Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius Fan Forced.
2. Defrost the shortcrust pastry until soft enough to press out in the pie form.
3. Break all woody ends off the asparagus and cut into 3.5 cm pieces, separate tips from stems (tips are for decorating).
4. Melt butter in a pan and add leeks, garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus stems (don’t cook), then remove from stove.
5. Cool slightly then scatter mixture across base of quiche crust along with the salmon.
6. Whisk together eggs, cream, dill, zest of ½ lemon, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour liquid mixture into the form on top of all the other ingredients. Top with cheese and remaining asparagus tips.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until top is light golden and center is set but still slightly jiggly when you poke it.
Salmon is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids as well as a great source of protein and high in B vitamins. Get on board and enjoy!